What essential gear/clothing do you bring exploring?

"With all the wacky stuff that urbexers come up with, this forum could be chock full of hilarity" -iFUBAR 12/14/2010
AndyMo88

Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:49 pm

I guess I'm a nerd about being prepared for anything... probably because I was an Eagle Scout.

Here is what I usually bring on an outing:

-Leatherman Multi Tool

-LED headlamp (with low brightness and red light settings to avoid unnecessary attention at night)

-MaxiFlex Gloves (cut-resistant, extra grip, keeps your hands clean in dirty abandoned places)

-Palladium Waterproof Boots (plenty of ankle support, keeps your feet warm and dry)

-Stocking cap and sunglasses (helps preserve your anonymity if someone sees you entering a location that's 'hot')

-Lighter/cigarettes (great for offering homeless folks or other shady characters you may encounter)

-Mini binoculars (so you can see potential trouble coming from a distance)

-Water bottle (if you're going to be away from your vehicle for a few hours)

-Camoflauge conscious clothing (I tend to wear grey or dark green colors because they don't catch the eye. Black stands out too much)

I never bring any kind of weapon for self-defense. You can always find a metal pipe, stick, or rock if necessary. Knives and guns are trouble.

Pulling your cell phone out and pretending to text or call someone is a great way to look less suspicious if you're scouting a location.

Also, I never bring my wallet with me in case I get robbed.

What about you all?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using KCUrbEx mobile app

Last edited by AndyMo88 on Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Snoopy
Administrator

Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:44 pm

I don't bring much, I like to travel light. Only carry camera batteries, spare flashlights, spare batteries for my flood light, water occasionally. I do have two pairs of boots depending on the occasion. One are rubber boots and the others are waterproof to the ankle and over plenty of protection. Gloves are something I need to carry more often and I have a particulate mask but don't bring it very often.
AndyMo88

Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:21 am

SnoopyWasHere wrote:I don't bring much, I like to travel light. Only carry camera batteries, spare flashlights, spare batteries for my flood light, water occasionally. I do have two pairs of boots depending on the occasion. One are rubber boots and the others are waterproof to the ankle and over plenty of protection. Gloves are something I need to carry more often and I have a particulate mask but don't bring it very often.
Yeah, I've found myself in need of a particulate mask multiple times. All that black mold I've inhaled can't be good...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using KCUrbEx mobile app

quinton

Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:42 pm

I usually try to bring a stack of leather work gloves for anyone who forgot some, basic dust masks help wonders on occasion, a very basic medkit since anything worse than a small cut or abrasion should probably be seen by a doc, also class 4 power armor, gauss rifle, and at least 12 incendiar.... no wait thats for dealing with hell rifts, forget that. Just basic stuff works fine 90% of the time, unless your planning some super adventurous stuff you really don't need to load up on gear.
Judge if you want. We are all going to die. I intend to deserve it.
WearySherpa

Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:56 pm

I always wear a jacket, jeans, and boots. It’s casual, and tough enough to keep me from getting cut on rusty nails or broken glass.

The equipment I pack is similarly minimal. A bandana to keep the asbestos out of my lungs, a flashlight, and a small folding knife.

It’s small enough that I wouldn’t get in trouble for having a weapon on me, but enough to make me feel less worried about the thought of encountering a feral crackhead.

Sent from my iPhone using KCUrbEx mobile app
Aran

Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:26 am

WearySherpa wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:56 pm

The equipment I pack is similarly minimal. A bandana to keep the asbestos out of my lungs, a flashlight, and a small folding knife.
A bandana won't protect you whatsoever from asbestos. Dust masks and bandanas can keep out general dust and limit exposure to mold spores, but asbestos is far too small and thus passes through them easily. Only a P100 respirator or better will protect you- anything less is useless.
WearySherpa

Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:44 am

That’s a pretty helpful tip. Will probably invest in something less ragtag then.

Sent from my iPhone using KCUrbEx mobile app