R.I.P., Bannister Mall

"With all the wacky stuff that urbexers come up with, this forum could be chock full of hilarity" -iFUBAR 12/14/2010
Crazyman

Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:24 pm

http://downthebyline.blogspot.com/2007/12/council-passes-3-trails-tif.html
Apparently the plan to tear down Bannister Mall and build the Wizards new stadium and retail/office space passed in a city council meeting this afternoon 13-0. It sounds to me like the Wizards plan on breaking ground sometime next year, so ol' Bannister probably won't be around much longer. No word on the former Hypermart, though....
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”-George Carlin
phnx

Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:00 am

What's the current condition of Bannister?

Would it be a possibility since I missed out on making it to Blue Ridge? I actually was under a Corporate Lifetime Ban from Blue Ridge due to getting busted while doing a skate through in my late teens...

They couldn't really prosecute as I didn't break any laws (unknown to me BRCorp didn't have rules specifying foot traffic only at the time so I basicly got off on a technicality- I was sure my ass was in serious trouble)

I tear up a bit when I see the old Odyssey Martial Arts commercials that they recently started showing again. I see that commercial and I'm like "Oohh, that's the curb where I landed my first K-grind.... and that was the loading dock where I Mr. Wilson'ed (doing the splits with the back leg wrapped under itself- ouch...

stupid wal-mart...
Crazyman

Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:19 am

Locked up tight, lots of security, if you believe the rumors...might have to resort to trying to get permission...which wouldn't be so bad, we'd get to see everything we want to see at our leisure. Either way I'd love to go, too-I also missed Blue Ridge, and by a hair, too(I used to work for a homecare agency whoms office was in the basement)...damn security... :?
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”-George Carlin
phnx

Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:30 am

What do you think about the Blue Ridge Movie Theatre? Maybe we can get Juggalette and maybe a couple others and make that kccats make up/intro in 3 or 4 weeks?
Crazyman

Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:57 am

That sounds damn good-that's one of the 2 places in Independence I really wanna see...the other being a former historic resturaunt a bit further down 40 highway. Anyone else interested, PM me and we'll work out details. If no one else shows interest phnx-we may just have to tackle it ourselves :twisted: .....
ImAWalkingCorpse

Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:33 pm

I was by there the other day, they really have done nothing with the site. A few stores were still open across Hillcrest, but other than that? Nothing.
Esoteric
Silver Fox

Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:57 pm

Isn't Bannister Mall gone?
Hank Hill
King of Cars

Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:21 pm

Esoteric wrote:Isn't Bannister Mall gone?

Yes, long gone , but there's still lots of unused stuff in the immediate area though....
eyefoobar
Dirty Tube Sock

Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:33 pm

Holy old thread revival batman.
I'm a relatively respectable citizen. Multiple felon perhaps, but certainly not dangerous.