Bikers!

"With all the wacky stuff that urbexers come up with, this forum could be chock full of hilarity" -iFUBAR 12/14/2010
i like engines
Mary-Kate Olsen

Bikers!

Post by i like engines » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:58 pm

I've decided to get into biking this spring. I'm purchasing a mountain bike hard tail and am pondering accessories to keep in my pack. I'm thinking I'll need a couple tubes, some tire levers, a multi tool, a bike multi tool, pliers, a pump, water reservoir, and a flashlight. For the most part I'll be paved trail riding with the occasional jaunt into the wilderness. How's my pack list sound? Anything you'd recommend?
I know I haven't been around much. But believe me...I'm definitely still active....
El Gringo Loco

Re: Bikers!

Post by El Gringo Loco » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:22 am

Hard liquor. You should ride critical mass sometime, it's great fun.
A.K.A Muddy Truck Guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sig Modified by JC. 1-877-434-5996 Ext. 100
Kit

Post by Kit » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:24 am

I would almost recommend having one tube and a good patch kit.
Also, if you keep venturing into terrain that keeps busting your tubes, line your tubes with newspaper or half of an old tube.
Sounds pretty good otherwise.

Make sure your bottle of hard liquor can take a hit, nothing worse than crying over spilt booze.
Hank Hill
King of Cars

Post by Hank Hill » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:33 am

A roll of black tape.....oh yeah, and double lining the tubes with a old tube is a great idea, i've done it for years. I'm still on the original tubes in my redline for that very reason....
i like engines
Mary-Kate Olsen

Post by i like engines » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:34 am

Thanx for all the suggestions guys!
I know I haven't been around much. But believe me...I'm definitely still active....
bologna

Post by bologna » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:14 pm

A park tool kit is small and holds every tool you'll need for repairs, 2 extra inner tubes and a pump. I don't carry patches any more because I'm lazy and it's easier to just replace it. Keeping your tires slightly over inflated helps eliminate punctures and snake bites. You should also lube your chain before every ride. Can't wait to do some biking with you.
Sincitychick
Queen of Awesomeness

Post by Sincitychick » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:11 pm

El Gringo Loco wrote:Hard liquor. You should ride critical mass sometime, it's great fun.

Bwahahaha I have a small bike trailer. It holds my keg.
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:18 am

i like engines wrote:I've decided to get into biking this spring. I'm purchasing a mountain bike hard tail and am pondering accessories to keep in my pack. I'm thinking I'll need a couple tubes, some tire levers, a multi tool, a bike multi tool, pliers, a pump, water reservoir, and a flashlight. For the most part I'll be paved trail riding with the occasional jaunt into the wilderness. How's my pack list sound? Anything you'd recommend?

I'd get a seat pack and carry a spare tube and patch kit in it. I ride a lot and have never gone through two tubes plus patches. Don't use the glueless scab patches, they are over rated. Just buy the cheap Slime patch kit from wal-mart for $1.99. Carry one good tire lever. Practice changing the front and rear tires out. Learning how to do it on the side of the road someplace is no fun.

You can get a frame pump and mount it to the bike. They work well, are cheap and pump a good volume of air but they are easily stolen and are exposed to the elements. You can carry a small inflator and co2 cartridge in the seat pack. The only downside is the carts aren't real cheap.

If you are getting a lot of flats you can buy Slime tubes. They are a thicker rubber and are filled with Slime to help seal up flats.

Both Park Tool and Pedros make good multi bike tools. Look for one that has a chain tool built into it. If you ever break your chain you can remove the broken link and fix it up.

A water bottle and cage is the best way to carry h2o. You can carry a Camelbak type device but they are over kill for most casual riders.

Buy a good helmet, Bell, Giro, etc and always wear it. Some cheap sunglasses, gloves with padded palm and some cycling shorts if your rump gets sore are also a good idea.
i like engines
Mary-Kate Olsen

Post by i like engines » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:20 am

Thanks everyone for the replies. Got the bike Saturday. We had a bike backpack in the closet we won in a contest years ago so hydration and storage are taken care of. I picked up a spare tube and some patches, plus a couple tools, levers, and a pump. I'm decently mechanically inclined and remember all my biking days in the past so I should be good to go on working on it. Looking forward to hitting the landall mountain bike trails amongst others real soon. Picked up a helmet, gloves, platform pedals and will look into clipless pedals in the future. Hoping to have a good summer!
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:24 pm

Most of the single track around here, including Landahl, is still too wet to ride. There is a decent gravel trail at Blue Springs Lake called Lake Vista Trail that is ok to ride when its wet. There is a trail head on the North side of Liggett just West of the spill way. There is another off of Woods Chapel Rd just North of where it goes over the lake. Its got a couple of good sized hills but its nice and wide.

Also a good spot to hit when its wet is Little Blue Trace. There are a number of trail heads along the Little Blue River starting at Blue Mills Rd at the north end and going down to Lee's Summit Rd on the south. Its about 15 miles end to end and super flat. Its also gravel and county maintained.

This board keeps updates of the trail conditions at the various mt bike parks around KC.
http://forums.earthriders.com/
evilbob

Post by evilbob » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:50 am

I have been popping tubes all summer - 4 tubes on two bikes. Thanks for the lining your bike with old tubes idea, great tip. I would say those slim anti pop tubes you buy at Walmart are a gimmick to charge more. Also buy a can of fix a flat; it's lighter, smaller, and better than a portable bike pump.

I'm interested in buying a spoke wrench and truing my wheels this year.
http://youtu.be/aSdQcMSs6a0
Last edited by evilbob on Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Missouri Explorer: Show Me Your Property Deed or STFU about it :)
Kit

Post by Kit » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:09 pm

If you want to get a ride together, I'd be down. Just bike Lawrence Riverfront trail, pretty sweet little trail