ENCOUNTERS (Dunn Dunn Dunnnmmm)

"With all the wacky stuff that urbexers come up with, this forum could be chock full of hilarity" -iFUBAR 12/14/2010
Nicktheexplorer

ENCOUNTERS (Dunn Dunn Dunnnmmm)

Post by Nicktheexplorer » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:43 pm

I have been very lucky recently... I rarely EVER encounter other people in locations. This is pointed more towards homless/looters/just other people rather than law enforcement.

What do you guys plan in case you encounter other people?

Do you guys have story’s of your own during sketchy encounters?

-Love Nick
This is a signature
SnoopyWasHere
Administrator

Re: ENCOUNTERS (Dunn Dunn Dunnnmmm)

Post by SnoopyWasHere » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:16 pm

I rarely ever run into people, mainly because I explore during the day. I've only run into people twice I can think of, once was in a hotel where someone not in our group threw a door knob at a scrapper who sounded like hulk hogan. We hid and he found us, and he was like, "your not the guys I'm looking for" then he ran out lol. The second time kcasylum and I were in an abandoned office building and we were heading to the basement to check out this huge safe. We had the safe in sight a homeless guy popped out behind this shelf that was right next to the safe. We tried talking to him but he didn't say anything so we dipped.
ImAWalkingCorpse

Post by ImAWalkingCorpse » Mon May 28, 2018 7:48 pm

I encountered a couple of homeless people a few Monday's ago at the abandoned motel at Prospect and Hickman Mills Drive. They asked me what I was doing there and I asked them the same. They moved on and so did I.
IrvingJackelman

Post by IrvingJackelman » Tue May 29, 2018 4:17 pm

One time Stormy & I ran into a guy at Deadmans and it turned out he was dead.
Doitforwarped

Post by Doitforwarped » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:09 pm

I've never had a negative encounter, usually I just run into teenagers taking photos. One time I ran into a homeless man at a school though, my first encounter with someone other than explorers. He ended up just making sure we weren't there to break stuff, then he read books in the hallway.
4Valhal

Post by 4Valhal » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:16 am

I typically keep some beef jerky in my bag in case I run in to some homeless people. If I know I am going to be in a situation where it is more likely than usual I'll stop and buy a pack of smokes as well. I've ran in to them on occasion but have never had an issue. It almost always comes down to respect of the person and respect of the place. If I see a room that is currently being used to live in I leave it alone.

I have not been asked to leave or dealt with any aggressive individuals thus far but I will say I never go anywhere without something to protect myself if need be.

My little brother scared the hell out of a kid at the old steel casting mill. Dude dipped out quicker than I've ever seen a pre-teen book it. Granted walking around the corner when you're by yourself to literally bump in to a 6'5" 240 pound dude staring at you would make most kids freak. Lol.

Out in Topeka at the State Hospital we ran in to a cat that freaked me out initially but turned out to be a pretty nice guy. We were walking down a hallway and could partially see him through a broken door. He was praying and chanting in a mix of English and jibberish. We later encountered him again outside and he was doing the same thing. He was reciting whole chapters of the bible from memory and was holding up a makeshift cross. When we asked him if I could take his picture he held it up higher and exclaimed "May God bless you!" at the top of his lungs.

ImageA Prophet in KS by 4Valhal, on Flickr