Hey guys! I'm new

Introduce yourself to everyone!
MrSloth

Hey guys! I'm new

Post by MrSloth » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:34 pm

Hey guys, I'm in the JoCo area and stumbled across KcUrbEx through Reddit. Im interested to get out there and see some hidden gems in the area! I'll keep an eye out for the next meet-up or if someone wants to dm me that's cool too. Advice moving forward would be appreciated. Thanks!
SnoopyWasHere
Administrator

Re: Hey guys! I'm new

Post by SnoopyWasHere » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:25 am

Hey there! We have plenty of good information in the Tutorials thread. We have one coming up this upcoming weekend!
MrSloth

Post by MrSloth » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:18 am

SnoopyWasHere wrote:Hey there! We have plenty of good information in the Tutorials thread. We have one coming up this upcoming weekend!
I should attend a meet-up before getting access to the tutorial section correct?

Sent from my SM-G920V using KCUrbEx mobile app

Kara Trapdoor

Post by Kara Trapdoor » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:35 pm

Hi, I'm new here today. I'm actually just looking for cool photo ops (NOT a pro, just for hobby). Live in SN CO, so not familiar with KC cool urban photo op areas, so maybe this site isn't exactly for me, IDK. Not 100% clear what all goes on here.. not a lot of urban or rural cool photo op areas around my area to share if that is sort of what this site is really for, but if i find some, I'd be more than willing to share. Most of the coolest locations are posted and my info is much of the cool stuff is watched pretty well. I found this site and liked the idea that sites are shared but judiciously and for the most part private so as not to have everyone overrun them causing even more of a need for monitoring, making it harder for people to just get in and take some pictures. Is this a social exploring and photography group or am I off base? I can't seem to find locations posted or pics. Thanks for any feedback. I can back out if this is not for me, just making my position clear. As for meet ups .. I'm of the older generation now, I guess lol, but my daughter is even more into exploring and photography than I am and we like to doso together. (she is over 18 barely) Not living right in your immediate area, most meetups would be difficult most likely. More info. please? Thanks
w0nKa

Post by w0nKa » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:24 am

I guess I don't really know what all the confusion is. It seems we get a lot of first time posters that have no idea whats going on here, or don't read through the rules. I was under the impression that Tier 1 members could still see the whole public section which pretty much explains everything to a T. Unless I'm mistaken? I'm not a mod so don't have power over the usergroups.

It actually is 100% clear what is going on here on these threads: https://www.kcurbex.org/viewforum.php?f=42

But to be clear, this is a local urban exploring group, and nothing more. Some people shoot photos as a hobby alongside exploring, or just for documentation purposes, but we are all primarily explorers for sure.

Edit: I hate to sound so rudimentary, but I think people (especially on the outside of the hobby) tend to forget that lawbreaking is inherent in this hobby, and we many times risk aspects of our life by putting ourselves out there to the "public". As a formality everyone who signs up for this forum who is new altogether should read the comprehend all the rules. It shows a respect and recognition of all the people whose efforts have gone into building and maintaining the community we have.

Just one more thing, many of us have been exploring for years and years, and have developed relationships with hundreds and hundreds of other like minded explorers across the country and indeed the world. I guess what I am trying to say is that yes, we are a close knit group and yes it can seem very intimidating to penetrate into such a hobby, but we are not going to come to you. Sometimes you just have to put yourself out there mutually. We have all had to do it.

~W~
Last edited by w0nKa on Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4Valhal

Post by 4Valhal » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:59 am

w0nKa, you hit the nail on the head man. I feel like this should be required reading for every newcomer lol.

To the two above, welcome aboard. I am a rookie here and haven't been associated with KC UrbEx for very long, however I can tell you from being on the outside looking in and now being in the "circle" if you will that the people here are awesome, welcoming, and warm. The reservation you may find has nothing to do with you personally, it is just the nature of the hobby and protecting one's self and the culture.

Get to a meetup, say hi, shake some hands, show everyone you're not a tool and it is smooth sailing.
MrSloth

Post by MrSloth » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:09 pm

Thanks for the informative replies! I do want to set myself aside from the other user who posted below me. I am both in the area and very interested in exploring this culture. I'm aware it will take putting myself out there and the risks involved. As for the tutorial section, I went ahead and read everything available prior to my first post so if this is the tutorial section you speak of I believe I'm well versed there. It's relieving to hear photography is not a necessity. I am far more the type to enjoy exploring than documenting (so far as I'm aware.) My only question now is the frequency of meet-ups. I wish I could make tomorrows but work gets in the way. Thanks!
w0nKa

Post by w0nKa » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:29 am

MrSloth wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:09 pm
Thanks for the informative replies! I do want to set myself aside from the other user who posted below me. I am both in the area and very interested in exploring this culture. I'm aware it will take putting myself out there and the risks involved. As for the tutorial section, I went ahead and read everything available prior to my first post so if this is the tutorial section you speak of I believe I'm well versed there.
Great! I'm glad you read all the 'tutorial' section, nothing too complicated, but certainly important.

MrSloth wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:09 pm
It's relieving to hear photography is not a necessity.
Good heavens, I can't stress this enough. I would say a large majority of people do not shoot photos, or even if they do it's fairly infrequent. This idea that if you're not a photographer, then you're not a true explorer is a rather pernicious one, fueled in part by instagram, FB, Flickr, and I might add UER to a certain degree. It has created a dangerous area of competition among groups of explorers which ultimately has led to the endangering of locations.

With all that said, I DO shoot photos! Maybe only 5-10% of the time I explore, and mostly by myself. Motivation matters, and I shoot primarily for myself ( it's therapeutic), but I also like sharing with other close friends now and then too.

Exploring is really what you make of it, and everyone does it for their own personal reasons. But let's not all forget that exploring is the reason we are all here.

~W~
Kara Trapdoor

Post by Kara Trapdoor » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:38 am

Yup, read it . just wasnt completely sure it was as stated lol.. sorry to sound so dense. I'm not in the immediate area but of course am around KC a lot and seems to be pretty much what I've sort of been trying to do for a while.. just not with groups, as I wasnt aware of any organized groups vs with friends. I understand the need for membership and understanding of how it works. No one wants to have problems. I guess was mostly looking for locations for photo ops while the hook ups would demographically be a little harder to schedule into for self or daughter but not out of the question. Sounds like you do understandably have a close group. Not a pro photographer.. actually move of an adventurer ; )
MrSloth

Post by MrSloth » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:08 pm

I look forward to meeting you all when I attend a meet-up. All in all, if the civility I've seen in this forum is reflective of the community as a whole, I think my stumbling into here will be great for me. Thanks again for the swift and informative replies. All that's left now is to get out there and see what it's like!

Sent from my SM-G920V using KCUrbEx mobile app